Three scenarios when you can revoke parental rights

On behalf of Barli & Associates LLC posted in child custody on Thursday, April 26, 2018.

Some individuals don’t make good parents and they can actually endanger the health and safety of a child. When these people have children, it may be up to the other, more responsible parent to seek full custody of the child while doing everything he or she can to limit the other parent’s potential to harm the child.

Here are three situations where parents should act to prevent unsupervised contact between their children and the other parent:

In cases of abandonment: If the other parent disappears and doesn’t offer financial or parental support of any kind, a court will view this as abandonment. In these situations, New Jersey courts will probably award full custody rights to the parent serving as primary caretaker.
In cases of addiction problems: When one parent has an addiction problem related to drugs or alcohol, he or she cannot provide a safe and supportive environment for the children. Courts may revoke such a parent’s parental rights.
In cases of past sexual or domestic violence: Convicted sex offenders and those with a history of domestic violence could also lose their parental rights.

When one of the above three conditions exists, the rightfully acting parent may have a strong case to pursue full custody. Courts may, however, award supervised visitation rights to the other parent to ensure that the children benefit from his or her involvement in their lives in a safe and respectful way. Whatever situation you’re facing regarding a parent who isn’t fit to spend time with your child, the law will seek whatever solution is in the best interests of the child or children involved.

Please follow and like us:
Three scenarios when you can revoke parental rights